Why Hello There, Sweet Friends...
With all that's happening in the world right now, I've been thinking (even more than usual) about how to create meaning in the work that I do. I was thinking about how the thing I love most about interior design is actually not just about creating a beautiful aesthetic in our homes, but it's also an opportunity for us to connect more clearly and profoundly with who we truly are, with the things that brings us joy, and with how we want to feel in our daily lives.
While it may seem counter intuitive, cultivating your own personal design style is actually about learning to know, accept and love, the unique and magnificent person that is you. It took me so many years of personal work to learn to see, accept and myself, and have confidence in who I am. And accepting, loving and owning my design style was just a hop skip and a jump from there. The only thing we're ever missing in design is confidence, and so I put together this video for you on how to connect with your own personal style, and gain the confidence to BE YOU, in design and in life.
Here are some thoughts on cultivating confidence in your own unique design style.
Here are some quick and easy things to consider when connecting with your own personal sense of style, in design and in life:
1. LOOK TO YOUR HOME: While you might not feel as though you have a good sense of what you like in design, you likely have much more of a style than you think. Start with what you already have. Take a walk around the house and make a small collection of things you love. Pick 5-10 items (literally anything) that brings you joy, or makes you feel good and happy. Look curiously at why each of these things is in the pile. The things that are already in your home is the best place to start, as you've already chosen these things to be in your life. Taking the time to look at WHY you love what you love is the first step to choosing to have more of it in your home, and your life.
2. LOOK TO YOUR CLOSET: Your wardrobe is the perfect place to start to evaluate your personal style. Have a look at what colours you regularly wear. Pull our your favourite items, and ask yourself specifically what you love about them. How do each of them make you feel? And how can you translate these colours and emotions into your home design?
3. GOOD DESIGN IS A TAPESTRY: The biggest thing to keep in mind when it comes to your design style is that there are no WRONG design choices. Just as we are a mishmash of beautiful things all wrappes up into a single person, so too is design about the interplay of beautiful and very different things, that come together to make something magnificent, and truly unique. Let go of the worry about creating an on-trend design, and give yourself full permission to just put things together that light you up. Don't limit your design style. Let yourself play, and have fun. Don't be afraid to have different styles and different patterns, different colours and eras all playing together at once. The best interior design is all about capturing YOU in the design, so the more things you love that are in your space the better.
4. JUST PLAY: Have fun with your design. Have confidence in your choices. And once again, please know THERE ARE NO WRONG CHOICES WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR STYLE. Because that's just what it is.... YOUR style.
That's all for now, You Fabulous Humans! Feel free to msg me with questions, video ideas, or for personalized design help.
Big Giant Huge & Smooches!
3. As always, if you have any topics you'd like to see a video on, feel free to reach out to me!
In Love & Gratitude & Sparkles,